Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Littlefield = idiot

Once again the Pirates have traded 1/2 the team off and got little to nothing in return.

Sean Casey, 1B, to Tigers --> Brian Rogers, P to Pirates
Roberto Hernandez, P, & Oliver Perez, P, to Mets Xavier --> Nady, RF, to Pirates
Kip Wells, P, to Rangers --> Jesse Chavez, P, to Pirates
Craig Wilson, RF, to Yankees --> Shawn Chacon, P, to Pirates

My favorite part of the whole thing is Littlefields quote:
Asked to assess his day, Littlefield replied, "I don't want to be in this situation, making trades. My goal is to win. We want to be in the position where we're acquiring players because we're battling for a playoff spot."

I'm sorry but you have NEVER wanted to win because you trade off everyone and don't get anything in return. I just read an article that talked about how Littlefield wanted Perez and Nady from the Padres a few years ago instead of Jason Bay. Are you kidding me? Jason Bay is the cornerstone of this franchise and he didn't want him. Goes to show that this guy has no clue how to run a baseball team.

McClatchy.. spend some fucking money or sell the team to Mark Cuban... at least he would buy some players that could get us above .500.

Just when the Pirates win 5 in a row, have over 100,000 people in attendance for the weekend series they just get rid of people.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Craig Wilson sucks and I am glad he is gone. Hernandez was fine too, he is an older reliever that would give a young guy a shot. I am 50/50 on Kip Wells, he has been hurt and wasn't given any chance by the Pirates this year, just like Josh Fogg last year. Perez needed to be kept, the kid is going through something that none of us know, but he is a talented pitcher. Sean Casey should have been able to retire a Pirate. He infused this team with energy and great hitting and if it wasn't for a freak accident at 1st base earlier this year he would have won at least 10 of those one run games for us. Big mistake on this one.

Here's to Dave Littlefield and wonderful management, get ready for another 5 years of losing seasons... but we are used to that right?

Just to add to this, a blog I read the carbolicsmokeblog has some great stuff about the Pirates trades... cracks me up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. The Casey trade was especially perplexing. I am told by a reliable source he just closed on a house in Upper St. Clair. The thinking is that the Pirates may go after him in the off-season, for less money this time (of course). With the money the Pirates will save following Monday's trades and dumping Randa and Burnitz, they can go after two impact free agents in the off-season (but probably won't). If they don't, they'll see season ticket sales collapse. Keep up the good bloggin'!

Judge Peckham