Thursday, May 18, 2006

Big Daddy doesn't do grass skirts

You are probably wondering what that title refers to... well it is a LONG story but here is the short version. My friend's girlfriend called me something one time and I said well you can just call me daddy. She said how about Big Daddy? Well Dwight overheard this (his blog is linked on this page) and has ever since referred to me as Big Daddy...

Today we were chatting about this luau party and I said Big Daddy doesn't do grass skirts... so that is where that comes from.. nothing funny I guess, but ladies if you want to find out if the name fits the prize.. call me up! ;)

So my normal morning routine usually involves me changing clothes like 3 times to find what I think looks good today and it made me start thinking about self confidence (SC). SC is such a volatile thing... sometimes you think you have achieved some level of SC then the next day it is the exact opposite. I find SC to be so consuming. I used to be confident, but that was when my life was going down a path that I thought was the right one..

but, things change as we all know. So what gives you SC, is it that 3rd shirt you try on in the morning, is it compliments, is it just a general swagger you might have, is it having a good date ? I can't seem to answer these questions these days and I hope that I soon can. But what I really question is am I giving others the SC they need?

I question myself that if I give enough compliments, or thank yous etc.. to help build a friends SC but at the same time I notice no matter what you say, sometimes it just doesn't get through even as hard as you try.

So what is all this rambling about? I am asking the same thing but lets call it my quest for Self Confidence... truthfully SC comes from how you feel about yourself when you look in the mirror. No matter how many compliments, thank you's etc.. you might receive I still think the doubt doesn't go away, so confidence has to come from deep within and you have to harness those compliments etc.. and use them as positive "power" rather than shrugging them off.

This is something I need to work on. I am assuming SC leads to "happiness" and when I refer to happy I refer to not having a crappy day, just doing your thing and not being pissed, or upset or against the world.

So for those 1-2 of you that read this thing, SC is a virtue and if you have it.. then you are set. If not, get out there and find it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post on "SC!" ... but I do have one thing to say about the luau issue: If Troy Polamalu can do gras skirts, so can Big Daddy!